Monday, December 05, 2005

Now I Am An Official Marathon Runner!

I am so greatful for such great friends and such awesome support! Just think if I was some elite runner it would just be expected that I would finish and not only finish, but kick crossing that finish line. However, this was my first marathon and I didn't know what to expect. I had hoped to run a marathon originally in 4 1/2 hours, but as my training progressed I moved up to a 4:15 training group and eventually a 4 hour group. So, I had hoped to stick with my pace group and run a 4 hour marathon, but they were running a much faster pace than what we had been training at and I couldn't keep up.
I have been reading Proverbs lately and Prov. 3:26 states "the Lord is my confidence." I kept quoting this while I ran letting it run through my head. After about mile 18 I finally turned on some music, well it ended up being some talking with some not so good singing. However I listened as the speaker told me to walk in God's grace and peace and I decided to let go of some silly notion that I needed to kill myself to finish in 4 hours. Somehow, miraculously I began to enjoy my mararthon, as much as one can enjoy a marathon. I was able to thank volunteers verbally and not just mouth thank you as I had before that point, when I wasn't previously focused on keeping up. This was my marathon, not the guy next to me not the guy in front of me. I was able to walk alongside some fellow runners and encourage them to run with me just little bit. I new it was hard to start running again, but it was possible. I didn't tell them all things are possible through Christ which strengthens me, but I showed them and we'd run a bit together. I would sometimes have to leave them behind and sometimes I would have to stop and watch others pass me by, but I was happy for them. There were little kids whose hands I was honored to be able give a high five. The crowd would encourage me and call me by name. Hey, when I was walking it was easier to read my name as I went by. I didn't just stop and walk, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I found myself feeling nautious at times or my left IT ban whoever you spell that or write it was giving my left hip a run for its money. The balls of my feet were killing me. However, not by my might I was able to walk intermittenly amongst my running until the last 1/2 mile when I tried kicking it in and had a sprint where I was able to move up in the ranks by at least 50. My official finish time was 4:18:31, not bad for my first marathon. Hey, not hitting my goal gives me something to shoot for at the next marathon. I am still not decided whether or not I will try and hit 4 hours at the next marathon or if I am going to run the next one and just try and enjoy it to the best of my ability throughout the entire marathon.
We did have a lot to see. It was fun to run all over town. We passed 2 or 3 gospel choirs along MLK, we past some island dummers, hula dancers, go go dancers, cowgirl dancers, several bands, some percusionist in white karate looking outfits (which were awesome,) several DJs, (one of which blasted his music way too loud t0 have to run by,) we ran through Fremont street experience, and there were tons of awesome spectators! I loved that fact that we ran through some parts of town were mom's sat in there windows with there little ones cheering us on. Maybe someday one of those little ones will want to run and encourage the next generation. The overall experience (although I was saying I'll never do this again at mile 19) was awesome. I encourage anyone who is able to get out there and try a marathon. You don't have to go fast, you don't even have to run, but try, at least a little bit. We are starting training for a tenative San Diego Marathon which I do believe is June 4th. So, if you'd like to join us we will be running on the NW side of Las Vegas. We'll have to start training pretty soon. So you have about a month to get comfortable. I suggest trying to run 2 if you can at first. If you can't run 2 then do what you can and work up to 2. Increase by a mile a week, any more than that your just asking for an injury. There are plenty of sites, with tons more knowledge than I could ever offer. I encourage you to check them out, but then get out of your seat and get running or walking, just move!

2 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats sweetie! You are awesome!

Sherry

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger The Hubbard Family said...

Awesome! Way to go get it done! You make me want to do a marathon now. I need to do a post about running -- it is a micorcosm of life, that teaches us deeply spiritual lessons. It has made me a much more complete person.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home