Monday, April 17, 2006

Thank you Heidi!

During the first 7 miles of our run yesterday, Adam and I ran together with Kenny. Ginger our dog had also joined us. She was our pace dog ;) After the first lap we had learned the rigors of our route. The first 3 1/2 miles were a slow steady uphill grade, not too bad knowing that immediately following were 3 1/2 miles down. However, though I had run this route before it had never been as windy as it was yesterday! The wind blew so hard that at times it threatened to blow us off the road. The one consolation is that while it wasn't intensly hot it was warm, but the wind spared us of the heats usual effect on the human body. At the end of that first lap Kenny turned around and headed out on number 2, while Adam and I went in the house for replenishment. (gatorade, other electrolyte replacement, and water)
We were able to see time today. When we headed out for lap number 2 we could see how far behind Kenny we were after our short stop. He had about a 1600 foot advantage on us, which he maintained for the entire run. In fact he increased his advantage by not stopping after the second 7 miles either. Kenny is a machine!
During our 2nd and most of our 3rd lap Adam and I ran together. While on the 2nd Adam got so frustrated with the wind that he began yelling. He was really mad. I thought why waste your energy that way? Pour it into your run, face the challenge, and run harder! Besides being a little perturbed thinking he wouldn't be losing it like this if he was running with Kenny, until we reached Kenny and he admitted to doing the same thing, and then I knew it must be a man thing.
I had a different perspective though, thanks to a friend, Heidi. To begin the Easter celebration of resurrection, the people that we gather together with to worship God met together to watch the sun rise. After the sun we shared some thoughts, then some refreshment. Heidi, had shared something that encouraged me to watched for God in the things going on around me, and as I ran I could feel God in that wind. On the way up the hill the 3rd time He gave me some lift, encouraging me to continue and cooled my back. However it during the 2nd lap that I reallized it was the power of God in that wind that made me enjoy it so much. Even when my downhill slope should have been easier, but wasn't with the wind blowing in my face. I knew I was feeling the power of God in that wind and while it was difficult I know He was challenging me, and I felt that wind swoop me up and carry me away. I was working to get down that hill, but it didn't really feel like work. I was inspired to face the challenge and I had more energy on that run, than I have had since months ago when we ran a simple 12. I left Adam after making sure he was cool with running alone and finished the last 2 miles strong. It was not my might, nor by my strength, but it was awesome to have been swept away. I didn't even need old people Icy Hot when I was done! Yes, ordinarily I put it on after a Sunday long run, I am getting old. I'm not there and might never be, but I'm not 17 any more!

2 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not old, but your knees are! Mine are getting older too by the mile. LOL! You are awesome honey! Heidi you rock! Thank you for the inspiration you gave Michelle to leave me in the dust with no water. LOL!

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the anonymous is and was Adam, there I am not anonymous anymore!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home