Monday, March 20, 2006

Pit bulls, lockouts, and birthday parties

This has been one exciting week. I learned that, well had it confirmed that my son sleeps like the dead. Victoria even yelled fire, from behind the locked patio slider, from which we were harbored from the heat and comfort of our home. We (Adam, Victoria, and I) were locked out of the house, with Sebastian asleep on the couch. I must have rung the door bell a thousand times, and Adam knocked his knuckles bloody, only after having already tore his finger open helping me put together the enclosure for the trampoline I'd already assembled the day before. Thank goodness that we live in Las Vegas and that it is the middle of March, but it was very windy and less than 50 degrees. I got Adam to put a hole in the top of a garbage bag to hold in some of his body heat. I wouldn't be so concerned about an hour and a half out in the cold except that we have all been around a lot of people with lots of stuff in the air, and we don't have insurance. Luckily Sebastian eventually woke up. I told him he was my hero. He loves being the hero and I was rewarded with the most adorable smile :)
Pit bull, do you ever wonder why pit bulls are called pit bulls? The other day at the end of a run, 2/10 of a mile from the house, two pit bulls came up and attacked my running partner, my dog, Ginger. Somehow she got away, and being faster she bolted up the street towards out house. Unfortunately, she went to the side gate where they pinned her in the corner. A neighbor helped in my futile effort to get the pits off of my Ginger by throwing rocks and the little running gear I had with me at them. Adam heard my cries for help and came to the rescue. He finally freed Ginger, and ran with her to the front door only to invite, the unlwelcomed pits into our home. Sebastian escaped to our bedroom and closed the door, but Victoria was stuck on top of an arm of the couch. It all happened so fast and was so scarey. I was sure I would lose Ginger that night, but my prayers were answered and she was delivered unscathed. I couldn't believe it, but she was my Daniel in the Lions den. Although the pits were not calmed Ginger didn't need a single stitch. It was amazing! I am so greatful!
This all happened only days before Sebastian's birthday, days after Victoria's. Victoria was pretty upset about it for a few days. Sebastian didn't have to watch the butal attack, praise be to God. It was hard for me to deal with. My neighbor said she couldn't go to sleep until 12:30 that night because she was so shaken up.
Then we really shook things up with a party. It was really Sebastian's first. We didn't send out invites, like I had planned. I've had the invites for like 6 months. Everytime I think I am getting more organized, I seem to begin to drown in my disorganization. However, I invited a few good friends, not as many as I would have liked, but do to our limited space, I had limited numbers that I could invite. However, it seemed as though fun was had by all. I was able to enjoy myself with my jammed packed house. I guess we could have fit a few more, but there were a few invited who didn't show up. It's weird invitations to parties. You either invite one group or another it's hard to mix because then spend all your time trying to make some feel welcomed. We had a good mix though I know there were some that I would have loved to invite and didn't. Maybe someday we'll have a bigger entertaining space and won't have to limit our numbers. However, other than not being able to invite everyone who was dear to us, we had a wonderful day! Many invited guests were very helpful, and so much so that we welcomed with open arms a second gathering in our home. It was a meeting which we hold monthly the week following our monthly gathering. We are usually at Jason's Deli and the kids were so much easier I felt in our home. It was nice having everyone who showed up. I so love the community God has placed us in. I am so greatful for my health and that of those around me. It seems that I am able to witness some miraculous doing of what could only be claimed by God more often than I deserve, and although I know there is much suffering in the world there is also a whole lot of Good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home