Monday, February 27, 2006

Library Day

We visited our local library today, in honor of nobody's Reading Week. We usually make a weekly stop later in the week, but we simply delayed last weeks visit, and made a contribution to the library system in late fees. We returned movies and books, and I tried renewing a book I am in the middle of and they wouldn't let me. I'm not sure why, but VICTORIA APPLIED FOR HER VERY OWN LIBRARY CARD TODAY, and they let her check it out for me. It sure was nice of her to do me that favor. I really appreciated it. Victoria was SO excited for this new rite of passage in her life. She kept reminding Sebastian that when he was 5, if he went to REAL school that he could get his library card too. I am glad she likes school so much. She told me today that she doesn't see her teacher that much, because she has other people help in the class when she has to be gone for the day. I know her teacher has missed less days this year than I have fingers on one hand, and no I'm no freak of nature, I only have 5 fingers, actually 4 fingers and one digit, my thumb. (on each hand) She did leave for the day though last Friday to go teach a class in California. I like the fact that she is teaching her peers as well as my daughter. I have confidence in her teaching ability anyways having spent quite a bit of time in her class, but it makes me all that much more confident that she is teaching more than just the kindergarten children. It's funny having been around her has inspired both Victoria and I to teach kindergarten, wouldn't that be crazy if we both actually did?
Anyways, back to the library, which we were leaving, with Victoria's new library card and my book checked back out by my daughter, who is so good to me. We left and went to use the outdoor roller rink next door. It was just the kids and I. I don't have roller blades anymore, but I held their hands while they skated. Victoria has roller blades and Sebastian has the little adjust and fit over your street shoe skates, (power ranger ones,) with matching elbow and knee pads. You know besides protecting their knees from bruises, they also protect jeans from developing holes :) which makes me happy. When we tired of skating, we went to the park on the same grounds and the kids played while I read from the other half of the book I hadn't finished. You know it's crazy how quickly children grow. I remember 2 & 3 year old story hour with Victoria when Sebastian was a we' babe and now she can check out books on her own and read them alone or to her little brother, which she did on our way home from the library.
You know another awesome thing about my daughter is that although she told me she would die if she didn't get an American Girl doll, when I suggested a knock off version from Target she didn't pitch a fit, whine, or even present me with a dissappointed expression, she was all for checking them out. Of coarse the Target we stopped at had the 2 ugliest versions of my American Girl alternative, but heck I'll stop at the one near the house tomorrow, if it will save us $60. She might not even play with this doll she just has to have and to spend more than $90 on a doll after shipping just might kill me!

1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Sara said...

What a great library story!!
I dont understand one thing!!
You cant check out books if you ara a kid if you are not in REAL SCHOOL? WHen can you then check out a library book as a kid if your School is UNREAL?
You have to tell me about this roller skating rink?
Love SAra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home