Monday, April 17, 2006

Our Easter Dinner and 2nd Dessert

For Easter dinner yesterday I had shopped and planned all week. I searched high and low to find an UNcooked ham. Adam's aunt had hand written me a page long recipee for her Coors Ham that we ate for Christmas at her house. She is new to the family and boy did she win me over, not only did she hand write the recipe, but she did it immediately and while she had several guests in her home. The fact that she was willing to give me the recipe alone and then that she went through the inconvience of getting to me was even cooler. Back to my holiday plans. This was the first holiday that I would be hosting with my side of the family that live here in Las Vegas. Adam's mom, sister and brother would join us later after their church service was over. I had carrot napkins to hold my utensils, made sure I had enough dinner plates to go around, and spiffed up the yard and house. For most of my family this would be the first time they had been to our new home of almost 2 1/2 years. I guess I should have hosted a long time ago! Anyways, on Saturday I got the first call of cancellation, by the end of it all we were down to Adam, I and the kids. Adam did not make assumptions that I had of dinner plans and invited my friend, Sara. So, by the time Easter dinner was done I had entirely different dinner guests, but perfect dinner guests. Sara, hers and John's children, and her 3 Icelandic family members, and my mother-in-law who couldn't make it to church that day because of health complications sat down to dinner with myself, Adam and the kids. His br0ther stopped for a minute, but had already eaten. So he hung with us for a few minutes. Although my "Ham" ended up being PORK, yes I know ham is pork, but all pork is not ham, and it wasn't until I cut into it and it wouldn't slice, but crumbled that I reallized that I didn't have what the butcher's assistant at Vons told me I did. Let me tell you in the Whole Pork Leg I found not one bite of HAM.
Dinner other than not having ham went off without a hitch. Kala especially loved my jello eggs, and my mother-in-law especially enjoyed Sara's Icelandic cake. I made a chocoholic cake whose name Sara's aunt laughed heartily at. I'm not sure how it translated, but it must have been funny. Her aunt ended up enjoying my cake more than anyone else I'm pretty sure she had seconds. When Sara left to put the girls to bed we stopped at Adam's sisters just to visit for the holiday and they ended up turning off their movie they were watching and we visited eating a second dessert and talking for like 2 1/2 hours. We just thought we'd stop for a 1/2 hour, maybe an hour, but both company and conversation were so excellent that we had a hard time pulling ourselves away to get Victoria home for bed. She did have school in the morning. Easter was awesome. I fell asleep with my head on Adam's chest while a movie I picked out, that he has been suggesting for weeks played. I had a wonderful day, awesome friends and family, phone calls to and from people we couldn't spend the holiday with, plenty of exercise, yummy healthy food, and delicious desserts twice, and it all ended comfortably, tucked into my cozy bed cuddled up next to my favorite person. What a day! Thank you for rising from the dead for more than one reason, Lord! You Rock in so many ways! Thank you for the blessings!

2 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ham is pig BUTT. How could you forget? :) I am so glad your day turned out so well. Noone deserves it more!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Sweet friend. Thank you so much for hosting an awesome delicious and inviting dinner. It made the day for me being with you and Adam on this day, I really wished John could have been there!! Mya and Aunta Vala loved it so much and Vala I think got 3 pieces of your chocoalte cake!!! You are awesome friends and I thank God for you. Thank you also for taking such good care of me while John is gone. I couldnt do it without you..!! Lots of kisses Sara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home