Monday, December 19, 2005

The "Holidays"

A friend mentioned to me this week about how she didn't know anyone with much of any kind of Christmas spirit. I don't know if God is a part of her life, but if you ask me it's all about Jesus. It's the celebration of His birth, His Birthday if you will. Our kids sang Happy Birthday to Him last night. As far as what we know of Christmas in the secular world it's usually all about the kids. However, how the heck are people suppose to have the Christmas spirit if we can't even say Merry Christmas to each other in public anymore. Victoria didn't have any kind of holiday celebration at school this week. O.K. let me get this straight. We have a 2 week vacation and we don't even talk about why. It's a good thing I have so many friends who are teachers or I would have been standing at the schoolyard gate this morning wondering why everyone else was late, because you know that would be one of the rare times that we would be early :) I ran into another mother this weekend that didn't know that there was no school this week until after school on Friday. Hey, at least her kid had a winter celebration concert. What did my daughter's school have to bring on the "Holiday spirit?" NOTHING! No tree, Happy Hannukah candles or draidle, Kwanza, nothing. Shouldn't this be at the very least a celebration of all of our different beliefs. I wouldn't want to leave anyone out, bring what you celebrate to the table and we'll include it, but don't limit my free speech and tell me not to say Merry CHRISTmas! It's what I believe that Christmas is when I celebrate the birth of my saviour. Heck, Christmas has been around for a long time and now they want to cut it out. I'm not saying I want a holy war or anything, but there is too little in life that we celebrate. Life is about loving people and celebrating with someone just seems like an awesome way to do that! I remember when I was in school all those many years ago and my teacher was able to share her celebration with us and we had a Christmas tree IN OUR CLASSROOM! We sang Christmas carols, including The Little Drummer Boy, which suprises me now when I think about the fact that it talks about the new born king, baby Jesus, at our Christmas program, in a public school. O.K. so that was a run-on sentence, but well, I guess this has been a run-on blog, more of a rant. Sorry, I just don't understand all this hub bub! I guess I haven't been around very long though. A friend just informed me last night that it wasn't until the 50's that we put In God We Trust on our money. Maybe that irritated a lot of people back then?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home