Monday, January 02, 2006

Don't Quit!

This morning Victoria was painting with some watercolors, making a snowman out of black paint. He (the snowman) had an orange nose that looked like a carrot and two eyes and a mouth whose color I can not recall. When she went to paint a companion for her solo snowman she messed up and started slash painting, and then set, kind of slamming, down the paint brush. She was clearly mad. I told her not to quit. I tried to encourage her by telling her she had then created something new. She said, "Yah, but no one will like it." I told her it didn't matter if anyone likes it or not as long as she tried her best. "Besides," I said, "Some people will probably like it and some people will not, but who cares!" Afterwards she thanked me and said, "Thank you for not letting me give up." Then we hung her snowman slashing on the refrigerator under the "Love" stick pin.
Last night I was working with some other adults with some children. There came a time when we were leading the kids in prayer. Some of them began to pray, repeating the words after the teacher, who said to be quiet and let her pray, which sadened my heart a little. It is always amazing to listen to children pray. I know most of the time when Victoria will lead the prayer over meals she won't even mention any kind of blessing or thankfulness for the meal, but God knows her heart and where two or more are gathered He is there in our midst. I just remembered another sad moment, at our Thanksgiving meal it was very clearly stated that an ADULT should pray. None of the adults were volunteering to lead and Victoria was so excited! It kind of broke her spirit it seemed a bit when she couldn't pray. Whey not encourage our children. I think we should listen to our children pray a little more often. Besides, I know He knows we are all thankful for the food we are about to consume, especially when the prayer is lead by a child who forget to mention it, and we are all thinking don't forget the food. Heck, if God can understanding our mumblings and groanings I know He can hear our thoughts.
Just one more thing that both Adam and I noticed, during that teacher lead prayer the kids were sitting criss cross applesauce, which is the 21st century kindergarten version of indian style in case you aren't politically correct. Anyways, one of the boys with hands palm down, was face down during the beginning of the prayer. Now maybe he was just tired or goofing around, but how much more reverent can one get than to be in that prostrate position, maybe his parents are true prayer warriors! I have a friend whose prayer life I could learn a thing or two from and she often prays in that position. O.k. so maybe this was just something for Adam and I to watch and be touched by, but do we have to look like angelic children from a storybook criss cross applesauce/indian style with our palms together like we're about to perform here's the church, here's the steeple, open the doors and there's all the people. Now, don't take this as any kind of criticism of the teacher, the reason for which I didn't mention any specifics is to focus on the children praying, just observations of how we mold our children into what we mold them into when we teach them and don't sometimes don't take a moment, often because we don't have one, to step back and learn from them. I want to say to all the children who have a heart for God, don't stop talking to Him, he hears you and listens to what you have to say and it doesn't matter how you say it or in what position you are in when you say it. Keep praying, even when we tell you not to, DON'T QUIT!!!!!!!!
On a different note, Adam and I received a very thoughful and unnecessary, but much appreciated token of appreciation for being parent helpers in our daughters class. We enjoy helping so much that really we should be the ones handing out thank yous! Thank you to any and all teachers, helpers and volunteers, especially those with a heart for children, I know sometimes it must be trying and tiring, but please, don't quit! I truly appreciate you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home