Sunday, August 28, 2005

Kids

Yesterday, Sebastian asked me if I would hold him for 8 days. I told him, "I'll hold you for 8 minutes." I think I actually had to set him down before the 8 minutes were up. Ah, this crazy life I call my own. I think sometimes that I am going to slow things down, because I do have the power to do it. However, on second thought I realize that I would replace the paused moments with other hurriedness. Why?!!!!! I just know myself. I enjoy being busy for the most part. I just need to slow down every once in a while to hold my kids a little longer, and treasure them, while I still have the chance.
Victoria went to her first open house for school yesterday. There was as Victoria calls it "an icecream explosion." It was really an icecream social, but with all the foot traffic it felt a bit more like an explosion, well of people, maybe not so much of icecream. I have been praying about where God would have Victoria, when it comes to school. I haven't received an answer to that prayer, but I felt like it was the right thing to go and registar last week. I still think I would rather homeschool her, but I seriously lose it sometimes. We have been part-time homeschooling since like April. I enjoy working with her, and love the time we have together. I just don't know that home is where she belongs, when it comes to her education. I am not worried about her lack of socialization, the kid practically lives on the phone, and she's only 5. We had no lack of friends to invite to her birthday. She is very comfortable around people of all ages. I just keep praying and she seems to get more and more excited about going to school. We will supplement educationally at home and at God's command I will keep her home, but I just keep praying that He will lead, guide, and direct me. So, for this next week, Victoria, will be attending public school and she is very excited about it. I met her teacher and she seems nice. I am kind of excited myself about her first day, which is orientation, which I am permitted to attend. I was hoping for an a.m. class and we are on the waiting list, but maybe there's a reason we are in the p.m. class. We did run into some old friends, whose daughter is in first grade at Darnell Elementary School.
Sebastian took it pretty hard that Victoria is going to be going to school without him. I guess I didn't think about that very much. I am kind of excited about the prospect of having some alone time with Sebastian. I guess that's one advantage to having only 2 children. I am not commited to sending her to public school for first grade, but we are going to give it a go for the 2 1/2 hours a day that kindergarten entails. I figure it's kind of like a daily play date where she works on her abc's and 123's. She is excited about meeting the kids in her class. I am excited because the 4 mile trip to and from we've decided, (mostly the kids idea) will be for learning Spanish. I am going to try and have some prayer and Bibletime in the morning before she goes, and since the kids in her class will probably be reading for a while, we will continue our sometimes frustrating, but exciting journey of Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons. We are almost 2/3 of the way through and she is really enjoying it. I am still going to be just as dedicated of a parent. It is definately harder for me to see her go than it is for her to leave me. I know it's only kindergarten, but this is hard for almost every parent isn't it. However, I guess her excitement is a good sign that she is learing to be indepentent. "Raise up a child in the way he should go..." Well, it is now a little after 2 and I have a 9 mile run in less than 4 hours. So, I guess I better hit the hay. Good night sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home