Sunday, December 05, 2004

I have run the race.

O.K. maybe that sounds a little too biblical. At least I didn't say that I finished my coarse. I simply completed one insignificant road race. That's right I ran and completed my first 1/2 marathon this morning, which I couldn't have done alone. Adam and the kids got up early, drove out there with me, and camped out in the van. They were one of 2 or 3 vehicles that drove the loop, while we ran it, that actually cheered. They would stop whenever there was a pull out and wait for me to catch up. They rock! Their smiling faces and encouragement was all I needed. Many runners mentioned either how cute the kids were or how nice it was to have some cheering. It was an awesome start to the day. I hope next time that I won't be so nervous and maybe I will get a better nights sleep. I ended up finishing in 2:00:53 (that's 2 hours and 53 hundreths of a single second.) I was so close to braking 2 hours. However, it was only my first 1/2 marathon, and I am satisfied with my finish time. Most of the more experienced 1/2 marathoners said this was a more dificult run than some, with all the hills. I didn't mind the hills though. I was only concerned about the downhills, but God really heard my prayer. I didn't have any knee or muscle problems. In the end my calves were a bit tight, but that might simply have been from the 13.1 miles. I really enjoyed this race. It was the first 1/2 marathon that Redwood Trails has run at Red Rock, and they are going to run it again next year on the same weekend, the 2nd Saturday after Thanksgiving. Adam really enjoyed himself, he said it was really exciting! I encourage anyone to join us next year either as a runner or spectator. It was a really nice low key race. There were only a little over a hundred runners, from 17 different states. There were awesome refueling stops, and hot soup, with snacks both healthy and not so much at the race finish. There were awards given out to the top finishers in each age catagory. I did go home with my t-shirt and some samples. Hopefully next time I won't require such a long nap afterwards, but that probably directly relates to the lack of sleep I had the night before. I plan to sleep well tonight! So, goodnight, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite.





1 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah I suck! I don't even know how long a half marathon is, but I am super proud of you! I miss and love you guys tons! See you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home